Life is a highway

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Working for the sake of working.

I have recently started a month long internship in the beautiful city of Vancouver. Although Vancouver has so many positive points that I would like to touch on for the sake of potential visitors, I will limit this specific blog to work related information.

I am really excited to get a taste of what it's like in the real world and so far... I'M LOVNG IT (MacDonalds style... even the walls are red and yellow... no lie).

Previous jobs, and most jobs that are held by school aged workers, are simply jobs that you work for the sake of working. These jobs require you to show up on time because that's when you were scheduled, and clock out on time because they don't want to pay you overtime; and most importantly, try your very hardest to keep busy during the hours in between. Not only is this method painful, boring, and horribly degrading, it does not give you a sense of purpose.

When it comes to jobs, or internships, such as the one I am currently doing, you feel needed, like there is actually some sort of reason for you to get up in the morning. On my very first day on the job I left at the end of the day with things to finish. This concept translates into a REASON to go to work the next day. My second day on the job I felt like I HAD to get to work on time because I needed all the time I could get to finish the project I was working on, aside from the obvious responsibility of coming to work on time for the sake of looking hire-able. I came into work, sat down, and started to do what I needed to do. This didn't involve cleaning something I cleaned yesterday, facing a box that was 1degree to the left, or twiddling my thumbs waiting for someone to need a hand with something. I actually had work to do. I really can't think of a better work related feeling at the moment.

I also find it really cool to be part of a well oiled machine. I am a writer. As a writer I create the copy for, say, a website. It is really interesting to be categorizing and editing information for a company and look across the room to see the mock up of the front page being put together. Then to then look to the other side of the room and see (not that I could tell quite yet) the programming being done for the website, people that make the clicks click and pop-ups pop-up. Together we are making one website, for what I would consider a very lucky client.

The only problem that I can think of right now with this job is... I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL! Now that I have gotten a taste of what it's really like I don't want to go back to doing projects that don't actually become anything, or write essays that will only be recycled the next semester, or even worse, learning STATISTICS (thank god I am finished that already). Also... I don't particularily like early mornings... but even that has a positive: I am being productive and living life and loving it.

Needless to say. I love being a working girl and I hope to write till I drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment